Week 1: Two Cultures

When learning about the two cultures of art and science, I came to the realization that I am very much influenced by these two cultures every day. In fact, I chose my major based on the fact that I am interested in both the arts and sciences. My major, cognitive science, connects art and science together in a way that I find very interesting. For example, some people who choose this major end up designing websites and apps, or go into the marketing field. I would hope to be able to use my artistic abilities with this major so I can work in the creative side of product development and design. Finding a major that encompasses aspects from both cultures was very challenging, as there is normally a great divide between them. 


Graphic showcasing the various subjects which make up cognitive science.
https://www.study-in-germany.de


As I was reading the assigned articles this week, I found that Professor Vesna’s article, “Toward a Third Culture,” really resonated with me. This is because I loved her message that we could only benefit by having artists work with technology, and to bridge the gap that exists between them (Vesna). This would create a so called "third culture". I decided to take this course because I am interested in both art and technology, so of course Professor Vesna's article is very encouraging to me. 

In the article "The Third Culture" by Kevin Kelly, he brings up a great point when he says, "In both theory and practice, science in this century has been perceived as a noble endeavor" (Kelly). It is very true that science is seen as something that is harder than doing something creative, so therefore it is more elite. This is simply untrue, and yet another reason why closing the gap between the two cultures would be beneficial.

Image showing what the left and right side of the brain focus on.
https://www.mentalup.co


In the article “The Two Cultures and the Scientific Revolution”, C.P. Snow writes about how the two cultures are split into polarizing groups (Snow). This reminds me of the concept that people often like to bring up which is that there are left brained people and there are right brained people. Left brained people are supposed to be more logical and fact based while right brained people are supposed to be more artistic, according to the website MentalUp. However, I believe that it does not have to be one or the other. For example, I like to think that I am a whole brained person because I have interests that intersect both sides of the brain. It is not black and white, and working towards merging the two cultures will help to normalize having various interests.

This image shows how website design is a perfect
 intersection between art and technology.
https://www.blackbeardesign.com


Overall, I am excited to explore my interests in this class, and work towards creating a "third culture" to exist within society.


Sources / Refrences:

Cole, Lauran. “Right Brain – Left Brain Test: MentalUP.” MentalUP.co, MentalUP, 22 Sept. 2017, www.mentalup.co/blog/right-brain-left-brain-test. 

Kelly, Kevin. “The Third Culture.” Science, American Association for the Advancement of Science, 13 Feb. 1998, science.sciencemag.org/content/279/5353/992.full.

Snow, C. P. “The Two Cultures and the Scientific Revolution.” Cambridge University Press, 1959, pp. 1–58.

Vesna, Victoria. “Toward a Third Culture: Being In Between.” Leonardo, vol. 34, no. 2, 2001, pp. 121–125.

Wilson, Stephen D. “Myths and Confusions in Thinking about Art/Science/Technology.” College Art Association Meetings. New York, New York, 2000. Print

“Cognitive Science.” Study in Germany, 2017, www.study-in-germany.de/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/cognitive-science.jpg.

“Right Brain, Left Brain.” Mental UP, www.mentalup.co/img/blog/right-brain-left-brain-test-2.jpg.

“Web Design.” Black Bear Design, 2016, www.blackbeardesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/web-design-company-portfolio.png.

Comments

  1. Hi Ethan, I loved you post. I completely agree that a person does not have to be right brain or left brain. People are capable of using their brain as a whole and merging the two cultures is what we need to do.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 9: Space + Art

Week 8: NanoTech + Art

Week 3: Robotics + Art